University of Salford Guarantor Service

University of Salford Guarantor Service University of Salford Guarantor Service

Housing Hand is proud to partner with the University of Salford for the “University of Salford Guarantor Service in association with Housing Hand” to help UK, EU and International students, supply a qualifying UK Guarantor when renting in the private sector.


How does it work?

UK, EU and International students alike have found providing a qualifying UK guarantor a hurdle when renting in the private sector. Housing Hand has partnered with the University of Salford to alleviate this issue for students.

Housing Hand stands as the guarantor for the students, who are unable to provide one.

Our service is quick, easy and simple to use. As a University of Salford student, they apply at The student must complete the Housing Hand application form and the accommodation provider must accept, then Housing Hand confirms their acceptance onto the service.

What does the University of Salford Guarantor service cover?

Housing Hand covers the full amount of rent as well as any damages, dilapidations and professional eviction costs, if any, incurred during the tenancy.

We can stand as a guarantor for a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 12 months. The student must renew for the Housing Hand service once their guarantee has expired after the 12 month tenancy.

How does the student apply?

To apply for the service the student must start a Housing Hand application form on our website  and select the University of Salford for the discount to apply.

For more information on the Housing Hand process, please watch this video.

If the student is classed as a Care Leaver or Estranged student they must contact the Student Diversity Team at the University of Salford at [email protected] to see if they are eligible for the service.

How much does it cost?

For students from the University of Salford the fee is 8 monthly instalments of £35.00 or an upfront cost of £250.00.

Who is eligible for this service?

Any student from the University of Salford and a set number of students classed as Care Leaver and Estranged Students. 

The student will need to provide documentation to prove that they are enrolled at the institution, for example; a copy of a student ID card, copy of University acceptance letter or copy of UCAS letter.

For more information about the documentation needed to be supplied for the Housing Hand application form, please watch this video.

What are the expectations and costs to the University?

There is no cost to the University. All we ask is if the relevant departments within the University can actively promote the service to the students online and across the University campus.

Does Housing Hand help Care Leaver and Estranged Students?

Yes, the University of Salford is the first institution we have partnered with to help these vulnerable students.

For more information about how we can help the Care Leaver and Estranges at your University, please contact Saasha at [email protected]

What happens if a student cannot pay their rent?

If the student is unable to pay their rent, they must contact our Credit Control team at Housing Hand, so that they are able to work with the student. They are contactable on 0207 205 2625 or via email on [email protected]

For more details on the Housing Hand default procedure, please read the FAQs in the Help Centre.

What is a co-signer?

The co-signer is a secondary point of contact for Housing Hand, this is typically a parent or guardian of the student who can be based in the UK or abroad. If Housing Hand is unable to contact the student, then we will contact the co-signer. While they are jointly liable for repaying Housing Hand if the student defaults on their rent, we do aim to resolve the debt directly with the student and only contact the co-signer as a last resort.

If the student has a parent that qualifies as being a guarantor, there is no need for them to use the Housing Hand service.

Our service is to help those students whose parents are unable to be the guarantor for whatever reason (please note we do not perform a credit or background checks on students or their co-signers).

We work with the student and parent to resolve the debt issue and only escalate as a last result.

For more information about co-signers, please check out our Help Centre.


Setting up our University Guarantor service with Housing Hand has been a great decision for both our accommodation department and our students. The Housing Hand team have been really helpful, easy to work with and responsive every step of the way making it a straightforward decision. We can now offer a much more comprehensive service to our international, domestic, care leaver and estranged students without any extra effort on our part, helping us go a step further in what we can provide as a university.

Jane Hopinkson, Team Leader – Specialist & Inclusive Support, University of Salford. 

covid-19 Update

Following the UK Governments guidance all Housing Hand staff are working remotely, we are still operating to our usual business hours: Monday to Friday – 9am to 6pm (GMT). 

We have set up a dedicated COVID-19 helpline to help answer any of your questions or queries, please call us on +44(0)207 205 2625 option 4.

Please stay safe!